Friday, August 15, 2014

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk... Oh, But I Did!

I always thought I was a decent multi-tasker, but I didn't understand the true concept until we settled in at home with Landon.  It has been such an experience learning how to juggle everything, especially when Lance is at work during the day.  The biggest task and possibly one of the most important one has been the biggest target of multi-tasking in its prime... pumping.  I am usually strapped up while cleaning bottles, feeding Landon, brushing my teeth, eating (sometimes cooking too)... I feel like I have really become the pro, but every once in a while there is a slip up or minor spill that will really put me in check.

During our NICU stay, pumping was like my saving grace.  As difficult, painful and frustrating it was at times, it was the only thing that I could physically do by myself to care for Landon since his birth.  It kept me sane while waking up every few hours in the middle of the night to ensure that I could bring a supply into the hospital the next day for Landon.  The middle of the night pumping sessions also gave me a chance to continuously check in on Landon by calling the nurses to check in on every milliliter he had at his feeds while keeping my fingers crossed that they would tell me no brady's and minor desats.  Often times a heart to heart with his primary took place as well.  My pumping times then were mostly uninterrupted, which was great because all the research and articles suggest that you need to take a break during this time in order to maintain a good supply,  but what a different story it is here at home.  Take a break???... ain't nobody got time for that!  Which leads me to the title of this post...

It started out as a normal day with me managing all the nighttime feedings so Lance can get as much sleep as possible to be productive at work.  Usually after Landon's morning feed I will still kangaroo with him on my chest as we both rest our eyes.  Feeding, changing diapers and cuddling always trumps when I need to pump, but as the time passed I realized it had been much too long since I last pumped.  So I set Landon in his mamaroo, Hunter was snoring in his crate (he seems to be more tired than Lance and I combined), and Kelly & Michael were on TV... the ideal scenario to have a relaxing pumping session.  So there I go pumping away in a daze from the previous nights exhaustion.

After a short while I knew my time was almost up as Landon was starting to squirm, but I tried to hold off as long as I could to get a good session in.  I began to call it a wrap, which is where it all went wrong... very quickly!  As I was removing the pump it became very apparent that the bottle wasn't secure as the bottle with about 110 mls (almost 4 oz) fell and poured all over my lap!  I quickly fumbled to pick it up and sighed after realizing I only saved about 60 mls (2 oz), but at least I was able to save some of this liquid gold!  I tried to compose myself despite my soaking wet lap and placed the bottle on the coffee table... well the terror continued as our coffee table made of slate tiles doesn't have a completely smooth surface and the bottle toppled over again... my hands began to shake at this nightmare and I was finally able to steady it on the table.  While this is all taking place, Landon began to cry and Hunter woke up to figure out what all the commotion was... I may or may not have let out some explicit phrases as well which probably drew more attention to this disaster.  So I quickly removed the other pump with my quivering hands and what do you know that one topples on the uneven surface as well!  Now I am desperately fumbling, Landon is screaming, and the dog is now at my feet trying to lick it all up!  I rush to just grab both bottles, run them to the kitchen to put them on the safe counter, and sprint back to find the biggest disaster of spilt milk... you know the cereal commercials of the kid trying to pour some milk out of a gallon container into their bowl and it just goes all over the table and floor... well that was a spitting image of what took place in our living room during what I thought would be a "relaxing" pumping session!

As I was cleaning everything up, my hands were still shaking in disbelief and I was a sobbing mess!  This was hard earned milk, just wasted... and now the saying, "don't cry over spilled milk" has a whole new meaning to me as an exclusively pumping mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment